Tomo Podstenšek was born on 26 July 1981 in Slovenj Gradec.
He writes novels and short stories as well as children’s literature and plays. His short stories have been published in Dialogi magazine and other literary magazines. Many of them were award-winning or broadcast on RTV Slovenija radio shows. In 2012 he won the prose slam at Spogledi festival. The same year his novel Sodba v imenu ljudstva was longlisted for the best Slovenian novel of the year award, Kresnik. In 2015 he won the annual Mladika prose competition.
Apart from writing, Podstenšek occasionally takes on a role of a director of children and adult theatre groups. He lives and works in Maribor.
- 2011 Dvigalo (The Lift – novel), Litera
- 2012 Sodba v imenu ljudstva (The Verdict on Behalf of the People – novel), Zavod Droplja
- 2013 Vožnja s črnim kolesom (Riding the Black Bike – short stories), Zavod Droplja
- 2014 Sredi pajkove mreže (In the Spiders Web – a novel), Litera
- 2015 Tihožitje z mrtvo babico (Still Life with the Dead Grandmother – a novel), Zavod Droplja
- 2016 Papir, škarje, kamen (Paper, rock, scisssors – a novel), Litera
- 2016 Lift (translation of the novel Dvigalo in Serbian), Areté (SRB)
- 2011 Az özvegy (translation of the short story Vdovec in Hungarian), revija Jelenkor (MAD), št. 12/2011
- 2015 Možeš da mi kažeš (translation of the short story Lahko mi poveš in Macedonian) revija Rast (MKD), št. 12-13/2015
- 2016 Oslobođenje (translation of the short story Osvboditev in Croatian) revija Artikulacije (HRV), št. 1/2016
Awards and nominations:
- 2013 nomination for Kresnik Prize