Invitation – Programme in Residence for Literary Mediators 2023
Programme in Residence for Literary Mediators 2023
The residency programme in 2023 is addressed to foreign literary mediators, i.e. literary translators, who have completed their training and have published at least two literary translations (students are not eligible), or publishers, who have published and promoted at least one literary translation, or literary agents, who have signed with a publishing house at least one contract for a translation of Slovenian literature and humanities. Translators are only eligible if they translate Slovenian literature into a foreign language.
- Organizer: Slovene Writers’ Association (SWA), residence programme since 2015
- Disciplines: literary translation, publishing and literary promotion
- Location: Praprotnikova ulica, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Duration: 2–3 weeks
- Paid by the organizer: studio, apartment accommodation
- Paid by the resident: travel and living expenses, accident and health insurance
- Obligations by the organizer: networking with Slovenian authors and the rest of the literary public, a possible presentation of the guest resident to the public
- Obligations by the resident: participation in a literary event, a short report on residency
- Deadline: 13. 2. 2023
- Duration of the resident programme: 15. 3–31. 12. 2023
Location, Premises and Equipment:
The Dane Zajc Writers’ Studio is located in Praprotnikova Street (Praprotnikova ulica) in Ljubljana, a 10-minute walk from the city centre. In this apartment, Dane Zajc was living and working for some years at the end of his life – so the residence features many testimonies to his life (e.g. paintings he was receiving as gifts, furniture he used, some personal objects). The residence measures 48,70 square metres, it has two bedrooms and a kitchen, a bathroom and an enclosed glass balcony. The smaller bedroom has a bed, a desk, and a cupboard, while the larger one contains a “reading corner” and leads to the balcony. In each bedroom, there are bookcases stocked with translations of Slovenian authors and with books that have been left there by other residence guests. The apartment has a wireless network, a kitchen with basic utensils for cooking, a washing machine and an iron. Cleaning service of the studio apartment after the resident leaves and a change of bed linen and towels are provided.
The residency programme in 2023 is addressed to foreign literary mediators, i.e. literary translators, who have completed their training and have published at least two literary translations (students are not eligible), or publishers, who have published and promoted at least one literary translation, or literary agents, who have signed with a publishing house at least one contract for a translation of Slovenian literature and humanities. Translators are only eligible if they translate Slovenian literature into a foreign language. Preference will be given to those literary mediators, whose project will contribute to the promotion and presence of Slovenian literature and humanities on the world stage, with an emphasis on the Italian, German and English literary market.
The Slovene Writers’ Association can invite six to maximum eight residents to the studio apartment in Ljubljana for the year 2023.
Applications must be submitted in the following languages: Slovenian or English. The following documents are required:
- a short version of your CV, including a detailed list of your publications/translations or promotional activities,
- a short description of realized and planned activities during and after the residential stay in Ljubljana (not more than one 1 DIN A4 page)
- including information on preferred weeks of residence and two alternative time slots.
Applications must be submitted by email before 13. 2. 2023 to email@example.com.
The application must be clearly marked “INVITATION – Programme in Residence of the SWA 2023”.
Only complete applications will be considered. The applicants will be informed about the outcome the latest till 13th March 2023.